St. Croix Dome, 1964-1966
47 Estate Grange, Christiansted, VI
Built between 1964 and 1966, the dome is a one-of-a-kind monolithic dome - a single piece seamless structure. The Dome's shell is composed of steel reinforced concrete. The St Croix Dome is highly energy efficient, disaster resistant, cost effective, relatively low maintenance and attractive.
Set atop a private one acre hill, this private home has been recently transformed into a modern and spacious five-bedroom, four-bath home with 180 degree views of the aqua Caribbean and the rolling green hills of St. Croix's undeveloped pasture lands. The over 4,500 total square feet of living area is accented by a 24 foot central dome skylight that allows for beautiful natural
Over Eight Acres
Belmont, Queen of Castries
Lastic Hill, Castries, Saint Lucia, W.I
A Rare 19th century Creole great house standing on 8-1/2 acres in St Lucia. This stately and gracious Island residence is set within a lush and vibrant park-like nature preserve overlooking Castries Harbor. Impeccably restored and maintained as the winter residence of a well-known Academy Award winning writer, the property today affords an opportunity to live and share the romantic genteel hospitality of early island living. This is not for those looking for the typical faux island tourist "luxury" amenities, but rather offers the priceless appeal of a private park and residence in the context of the authentic culture of the Island. There are outbuildings. Cocktails are served on
Rudolph Schindler, Architect
Bethlehem Baptist Church, 1944
4901 Compton Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #968. With Rudolph Schindler's complete control of "space, climate, light and mood," he creates a space well-suited for its purpose. Originally designed for a small African-American congregation, nearly everything about the church was unique (including the original color scheme which ranged from warm blue to eggplant, to purplish red). "With no attempt to imitate masonry," Schindler's design achieved a sense of massiveness through the distinctive exterior banding. The horizontal bands of stucco siding which appear to be wood, tie the building to the streetscape. Schindler placed the L-shaped church at the corner, with a
Marcel Breuer, Architect
The Lauck House, 1950
880 Lawrenceville Road, Princeton, NJ
Marcel Breuer's iconic 'house in garden' built in its extended version as The Lauck House in 1950.
Situated in a secluded and beautiful four acre property five minutes from the town of Princeton, the house underwent restoration work in 2009 and includes an elegant gallery space addition. One of America's most famous mid-century designs, this house incorporates many of Breuer's innovations including the renowned "butterfly roof," the centrally located kitchen, projecting parapets, vertical wood interior and exterior siding. A visual connection yet physical separation of the parent's master bedroom on the balcony from the children's
Frank Lloyd Wright, Architect
The Winslow House, 1893
515 Auvergne Place, River Forest, IL
As Frank Lloyd Wright's first independent commission, the William Winslow House served as a radical change to the traditional styled houses in the Oak Park/Forest River area of Chicago. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, the Winslow House's imposing facade consists of Roman brick on the first floor and an ornamental frieze wrapping the second floor. The first and second floor elevations of the house are clearly delineated by a central ridge line which adds additional volume to the overall feel of the design. With its broad, hipped roof line, the home predates Wright's Prairie Style vernacular architecture which later dominated many of Wright's
9255 Clayton Road, Ladue, MO
Centrally Located on a private park-like,1.81 acre lot in the heart of Ladue is this special mid-century modern Bernoudy-designed home. This home has all of the latest entertainment systems & Bernoudy's signature design touches: vaulted ceilings, brick fireplaces, expansive patios, large walls of windows & special architectural elements.The Living Room is open to the Dining Room & has French doors that lead to terraces- great for entertaining. The kitchen has been completely remodeled with European-styled cabinets, quartz countertops, high-end stainless steel appliances & bamboo flooring. The master suite is private, features a brick fireplace, an abundance of closets
Russell Johnson, Architect
The Sycamore House, 2007
18715 Little Tujunga Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA
Set creek-side on almost 13 wooded acres in the Angeles National Forest, yet only 45 minutes from Hollywood, the Sycamore House is a close-in retreat from the city. Designed by Los Angeles architect Russell Johnson to be sustainable and be part of nature. An open plan and a wall of glass allows the outdoors to become part of the living space. The house is built of Rastra, an insulating concrete with recycled Styrofoam, and steel, and was designed to supersede building code requirements for seismic safety. The building system also provides the benefits of low maintenance, energy conservation and a long life span. The house has 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a large outdoor deck with spa. Also on
Stephen Guerrant, A.I.A.
The Schweibert Residence, 1980
625 Oak Street, Winnetka, IL
With his modern interpretation of a New England saltbox, Stephen Guerrant's 1980 design of the Schweibert Residence introduces a post-modern aesthetic to an older, established neighborhood of period piece homes. While the design is indeed progressive, the symmetry of broad, low-slung roofline and careful placement of shingles blends in mellifluously with its Tudor and Colonial Revival neighbors. Guerrant's forward-thinking inclusion of geometric shapes predates the post-modern designs which came to dominate American landscape in the ensuing decades, thus establishing the Schweibert's home as a forerunner of the next chapter in vernacular architecture in the United States.
Claude Parent, Architect
Maison Bordeaux Le Pecq, 1963-1965
(private address), Bois-le-Roy, FR
Realized by the architect Claude Parent between 1963 and 1965, this house is a testimony standing out with the modernist architecture. Its oblique roofs make it a remarkable building of the 20th century endowed with a strong architectural and patrimonial value.
Located in Bois-le-Roy, in border of the forest of Croth, it takes advantage of a natural environment protected around the valley of Eure. The house is in 90 km from Paris (1h30 min by car).
This single storey house extends over a surface of 400 mÂ². It offers majestic one space of reception of 150 mÂ² opened on a terrace, with a first volume corresponding to the former studio, a dining room and a
Richard T. Broderick, A.I.A.
Fidalgo Island Lookout
2020 Kansas Avenue, Anacortes, WA
Designed by Richard T. Broderick of Sparkitecture Design Solutions. This 2500 square foot cliff house is elegantly sited on a commanding bluff with ocean and vivid San Juan Islands sunsets. The site falls in a number of steep intervals onto a lower terrace before tumbling further still into a lush tangle of brush and evergreens bordering protected wetlands below. The structure opted for simple, site-informed massing - a trio of stacked rectangular boxes, one more elongated than the last, wedged into the cliffside. The three floors were arranged according to a distinct functional hierarchy â€“ living/social areas on the main first level; master suite in the middle incorporating two